[R] lattice: bwplot and panel.lmline()

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Sep 17 22:32:08 CEST 2004

 I think that for this
> kind of purpose, it would be more intuitive if bwplot would
> accept numerical x data, together with a 'binning' argument
> (like histogram's nint).
>
> RenE

I strongly disagree. That's what cut() and R's functional programming style
is for. The number of arguments should be (usually) minimized in favor of
expecting users to use the features that R already provides. I think
Deepayan (and Bill Cleveland, his forbearer with trellis plots in S-Plus)
has done a fine job of doing this.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box