[R] Proposal for New R List: Criticism? Comments?

Jim Lemon bitwrit at ozemail.com.au
Thu Sep 9 23:20:35 CEST 2004

The number of help requests that could be answered by either:

1) A full text search of package INDEX files

or

2) A full text search of package documentation files

is certainly large. Professor Baron's search engine does this very well. Some
time ago, I wrote a Tck-Tk program to perform this sort of search, so that I
could enter any word and get a list of all files in the R documentation that
contained that word. In general, it is about as comprehensive as the UPenn
search engine. However, neither of these are on the CRAN site. It does not
seem difficult to program such a search on CRAN, so that someone seeking a
package dealing with, say, "goodness of fit" could enter it and have an HTML
page served with a list of links to documentation files that contain that
phrase. A lot easier than working one's way through the 350+ packages listed
or attempting to divine what each package contains from their often whimsical
names.

Yes, I would be happy to have a try.

Jim