[R] R under Pocket PC

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Nov 9 17:56:17 CET 2004

Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> writes:

> Technically, I don't suppose there's much to stop R running on some
> PDAs, especially those based on Linux like the Sharp Zaurus, other
> than storage and memory requirements.  If there's a Qt graphical
> interface available for R, you could even get graphics working on the
> Zaurus, potentially.

You can actually run X on the Zaurus, in which case you have a nearly
complete no-brainer. You do need an expansion card though.

Qt for R is not in the cards currently, as far as I know. The
cross-platform/licensing issues makes it a bit unappealing. R isn't
all that big, unless you use it for big things: about 60MB on the
disk, and 20MB initial RAM usage, on a PC.

>The Windows API on Pocket PC is quite a reduced
> subset compared to full Windows, so you might have problems with that.
> PalmOS would probably be right out.  :-)

Wouldn't rule those out even, we do have at least some bitmap drivers.

In all cases, I suspect that the small screens would require some
usability rethinking. You need to have the item in hand to really know
what to do, I suppose.