[R] A data selection problem, suggestions highly appreciated

Yong Wang wang at galton.uchicago.edu
Wed May 26 21:34:04 CEST 2004

Hi, All
I get following question:
A data format like following:

[Day time  x y]

Jan1 18:56:24 x1 y1
Jan1 18:56:25 x2 y2
Jan1 18:56:27 x3 y3
Jan1 18:56:28 x4 y4
Jan1 18:56:31 x5 y5

what I wanna do is to partion the time interval by unit of 5 seconds.
and pick x,y corresponding to the last time within that interval. for the
example above,
suppose 18:56:24 is the starting time, the time included in the interval
will be up to 18:56:28, therefore I want to get x4 and y4, and store them
somewhere else.
you might know this is the so called high frequency data. can you let me
know how to do this partion and pick in R or Splus.
suggestions are really and hihgly appreciated.

thank you very much.
best regards
yong