[R] - making a Windows library from Unix source code

Livingstone, Paul Paul.Livingstone at dsto.defence.gov.au
Tue May 11 10:32:21 CEST 2004

Hi All,

I'm using R1.8.1 on Windows XP.

I'm having trouble producing an R library from source code.  A colleague has written the source code, in Unix.  I've copied the source code across to Windows (with the help files, data files, description and index) and am trying to compile it into a library.

I've "sourced" each of the *.r files and they appear to work.

I've very carefully followed the instructions in the "R for Windows FAQ" and "readme.packages".  I've downloaded and installed Perl, R tools, copied across the text to

C:\Program Files\R\rw1081\src\library\fatigue

(note: the package is called "fatigue") then I type at the DOS prompt

cd "c:\Program Files\R\rw1081\src\gnuwin32"
make pkg-fatigue

and get the error message(s)

make[1]: *** [zzzfirst] Error 255
make: *** [pkg-fatigue] Error 2

How do I look up what Error 255 means?
Or can you tell me what Error 255 means and how I might fix it?
Any other hints or ideas on how to use "make" or compile code that appears to work?

thanks,
Paul.