[R] scores from multinomial logistic regression

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 7 16:07:10 CEST 2004

What do you mean by the scores?

What multinom does is to fit probabilities (which you can extract by
fitted()): the response is a discrete probability distribution.
There is an underlying linear predictor but

(a) it is K-dimensional and
(b) there is a degree of ambiguity, usually resolved by setting the
predictor for one category to zero (but not in this code).

That linear predictor is only generated in the underlying C code.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk