[R] "R" and "S-plus"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 28 11:11:36 CEST 2004

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, prad s u wrote:

> I apologize in advance if this is the wrong area to post this message. I
> would like to know if there is an "R" equivalent for the "S+finMetrics"
> package? I'd like to be able to use "R" to go through the examples

No.  S+FinMetrics is a *module*, Insightful proprietary code which is an
additional-cost addon for S-PLUS.  It is not part of S-PLUS per se.

> provided in the book "Modeling Financial Time-Series with S-Plus" (E.
> Zivot and J. Wang). I was told that "R" and "S-Plus" were very similar.

Please ask the person who told you that what (s)he meant by it.  Then look
together at the R FAQ for an informed answer.

> and I am relatively new to both languages. I would appreciate any help
> in locating such packages, or alternate suggestions.

There are various facilities for financial time series available for R
(see the FAQ, again) but you won't be able to work through that book with
them.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk