[R] Odd behaviour of step (and stepAIC)?

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Sat Mar 20 07:49:31 CET 2004

There seems to be some obscure features in step() when you have
interaction terms: their interpretation is order sensitive. Term A:B is
regarded to be something else than B:A. Sometimes this results in error

Error in factor.scope(ffac, list(add = fadd, drop = fdrop)) :
	upper scope does not include model

Just because R internally decides to order terms differently than in
the scope (this may happen even when you have produced the scope by
first fitting the maximal model, and then extracting that using
scope=formula()). I once was diligent enough to trace this to a certain
C function where this ordering was done, but I was not clever enough to
instantly know how to change the behaviour.

cheers, jari oksanen