[R] can't get text to appear over individual panels in multi-panel plot

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Fri Jun 18 08:28:35 CEST 2004

On 18 Jun 2004, at 8:26, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> On Thursday 17 June 2004 22:57, Patrick Bennett wrote:
>
>> yes, i can reproduce that same graph when i print to the pdf-device.
>> but the panel titles do not appear when I print to the Quartz-device.
>
> Hmm. I won't be able to help you then, let's hope someone else can.

I think this is a problem with the quartz device. I have often see that
margin texts are plotted even in ordinary plot() if quartz thinks there
is no space for them. They do still appear if you copy the screen
graphics as a pdf file. In Linux (my principal platform) I typically
reduce the white margins, but if I use the same mar pars in MacOS X I
won't get axis labels. Quartz is the culprit I suppose.

Actually, in your example I couldn't get the texts when I saved the
plot as a pdf (menu entry). However, when I opened an X11 device, the
text was reproduced OK.  So it looks like a quartz problem.

For X11 in MacOS X: It may not be in the default installation, but it
is in the installation CD/DVD of MacOS X. Then you got to start it
explicitly before launching x11() within R shell. In general, I
wouldn't recommend using x11() in Mac, since quartz() looks so much
better: x11 looks just as clumsy as x11 in Linux or the ordinary
Windows plotting device in some other OS. -- And beware: I have a
suspicion that if you stop your X11 in MacOS X, your mouse will die at
logout and you got to boot (or restart the mouse demon if you know  who
he is).

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen, Oulu, Finland