[R] How about a mascot for R?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Dec 3 18:18:16 CET 2004

Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen <kjetil at acelerate.com> writes:

> Philippe Grosjean wrote:
>
> >I'd vote for the inchworm because what is more representative to stat? The
> >Gauss curve, of course! What looks like a Gauss curve? The inchworm:
> >
> Erling B. Andersen tells in his paper in "Rasch Models: Foundations,
> Recent Developments, and Applications"
> edited by  G. H. Fischer and I. W. Molenaar:
> "Georg Rasch had a very obvious animosity towards the normal
> distribution. At certain occasions, when we had all
> consumed a generous amount of alcohol, he would invite all persons
> present to a party on his front lawn to burn all books containing the
> word 'normal distribution'."

However, Erling himself was (as you may know, he died in September,
only just over a month away from his retirement) no stranger to models
in which a Gaussian random effect was allowed in the Rasch model. And
Rasch's life-long hobby horse was "measurement methods", which sort of
fits rather nicely with other aspects of the inchworm theme.