[R] Final comment from a newbie_and another

Michael Griffiths Michael.Griffiths at lgc.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 10:42:17 CET 2004

I wholeheartedly agree. Maybe in time the list will divide into two whereby 'apparantly' simple questions will be answered without a curt rebuke!
I too am now signing off the list and will bury my head in a manual ot two. As a last comment; everyone has to start the learning process somewhere and lets face it, with a deadline looming and what appears to be an insurmaountable question wouldn't anyone ask for help?

Signing off now.......maybe in a hour just to see some responses to these postings

Michael Griffiths, Ph.D.
Chemometrician
Training, Quality and Statistics Group
LGC Limited
Queens Road
Teddington
Middlesex, TW11 0LY, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 8943 7352
Fax: +44 (0)20 8943 2767
e-mail: michael.griffiths at lgc.co.uk

>>> Ronán Conroy <rconroy at rcsi.ie> 02/12/2004 09:10:05 >>>
As a person new to R, I joined the list. I am a long-term member of the
Stata list, which has a tradition of being very helpful to newbies.
Imagine my surprise when my first day's mail included a rough rebuke to
someone for asking a simple question (including mentioning that the
poster had been reprimanded about this sort of thing before).

In the week I've been on it, there have been questions I could not
understand, struggling as I am with the basics of R syntax, which were
answered, and questions I could understand, which were met with
irritation and rebuke.

Made me decide not to post my hopelessly amateur question on getting R
to remember my proxy settings between sessions...

It's reasonable to say that for every naive question there were at least
two curt replies. Amazing how people can find the time to be rude, given
how busy they must be.

Well, I'm signing off now. I will learn R, but from the book. And I will
look forward to the time when the list divides into two lists: R-help
and R-helpful.

R is a great project. It's a pity there's no forum that will help the
struggling newcomer.

--

Ronan M Conroy (rconroy at rcsi.ie)
Senior Lecturer in Biostatistics