[R] Error with 1.9.0 - Invalid HOMEDRIVE

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Wed Apr 21 15:40:33 CEST 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:21:36 +0100 (BST), Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>For the record, it looks like the C entry point getenv() has been broken,
>and since 1.9.0 introduced a length check on the result of getenv it
>terminates `cleanly' whereas 1.8.1 segfaults.  Or possibly the setting of
>environment variables (HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH) has been broken, which
>would amount to the same thing.

I think I'm current with MS updates, but I don't see any problems like
the ones described, or with the R function Sys.getenv.  What symptoms
make you think getenv() is broken?

My suspicion about the reported problems would be the usual suspects:
anti-virus software, keyboard accelerators, virus infection, etc.

To check on these, affected users could try rebooting in "safe mode"
(hit F8 during the reboot process, then follow instructions).  This
boots Windows with minimal services loaded.  If some other program is
interfering with R, this will remove it, and R should be fine.  If
it's an R problem, it should still show up here.

Duncan Murdoch