[R] Error with 1.9.0 - Invalid HOMEDRIVE

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 21 08:49:47 CEST 2004

    DScottNZ> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Brett Melbourne wrote:

    >> That exact same thing is happening to me too. It seems to
    >> be intermittent.  After a reboot, it might (but might
    >> not) fix itself. My older versions of R also no longer
    >> work. R1.8.1 fails with the windows message "R for
    >> Windows GUI front-end has encountered a problem and needs
    >> to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    >>
    >> This appears to have occured to me after installing the
    >> latest Microsoft Windows critical updates. I have
    >> reinstalled R1.8.1 and R1.9.0 to no avail.  None of the
    >> other programs on my computer are affected, only R.
    >>
    >> Is anybody else experiencing this?

    DScottNZ> Yes. With 1.8.1 if the updates are installed R
    DScottNZ> fails as you indicate. If the updates are taken
    DScottNZ> off it works again. Bit of a problem here because
    DScottNZ> the University IT Security runs checks on the
    DScottNZ> updates and complains to users who don't have them
    DScottNZ> installed.

One logical conclusion seems that Microsoft has found that
R must be a virus since it's spreading rapidly around the globe.

So with the newest security patches they prevent the virus from
doing damage...

Or, maybe it's not just R, but Free Software in general which is
such a threat to MS?  ;-)