[R] install.packages

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 15 18:32:17 CEST 2004

    R> Hello, I just downloaded RW1090. No problems. My thanks
    R> to everybody involved in the project. I work in Win98 I
    R> updated my library, some problems with some files that
    R> were in the PACKAGES list but not in 1.9/ site, now all
    R> are.  I tried to install "Zelig" from Harvard
    R> install.packages("Zelig",CRAN="http://gking.harvard.edu")
    R> this worked in 1.8.1 but now it appends
    R> "bin/windows/contrib/1.9" to the address and of course it
    R> can not find the file and aborts with error 404 Is there
    R> a way around besides http'ing directly to harvard and
    R> getting the zip and unzipping it in /library?

To my astonishment, it actually works for me (in Linux)
with the source package...

OTOH, gking.harvard.edu is not really a CRAN mirror, and "GKing"
has probably not yet created the  bin/windows/contrib/1.9/
directory and its contents.
As a matter of fact, I believe he should rather submit his
package to CRAN proper and you and he wouldn't have to deal with
such things as creating now directories when a the version of R
is bumped up.

As he says on the Zelig web pages, the easy alternative is to
download the zip file and install that from the Package menu on
Windows.

Regards,
Martin