[R] Building and loading a DLL on Windows NT

Benjamin.STABLER@odot.state.or.us Benjamin.STABLER at odot.state.or.us
Thu Sep 18 19:59:14 CEST 2003

Thanks for the link.  Turns out I already had pedump though.  Ripley's tools
for building R for Windows zip file contains a copy of pedump.  He also
notes it in the readme.  I forgot to look at the readme for the R tools when
I was debugging my problem.  Thanks again to the R community for all its

Ben Stabler

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Liaw, Andy [mailto:andy_liaw at merck.com]
>Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 10:40 AM
>To: STABLER Benjamin
>Subject: RE: [R] Building and loading a DLL on Windows NT
>Here's a link to pedump, which BDR has suggested for checking exported
>symbols.  http://www.simtel.net/product.php?url_fb_product_page=28111.
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Benjamin.STABLER at odot.state.or.us 
>> [mailto:Benjamin.STABLER at odot.state.or.us] 
>> Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 1:32 PM
>> To: Whit.Armstrong at tudor.com; Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
>> Cc: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
>> Subject: RE: [R] Building and loading a DLL on Windows NT
>> It was the case sensitive issue.  I changed the file from .C 
>> to .c and I got the gcc compiler instead of the g++ compiler, 
>> which resulted in the function name staying the same.  Thanks 
>> for your help.  Also, I can't seem to find the Borland tdump 
>> utility (everything I can find on the Internet says it comes 
>> with Borland C++ Builder). 
>> All the best,
>> Ben Stabler
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >From: Whit Armstrong [mailto:Whit.Armstrong at tudor.com]
>> >Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 6:01 AM
>> >To: 'Roger.Bivand at nhh.no'; STABLER Benjamin
>> >Subject: RE: [R] Building and loading a DLL on Windows NT
>> >
>> >
>> >One way I've used to get rid of the name mangling is to 
>surround the 
>> >function prototypes (or the functions themselves, if you 
>don't use a 
>> >header
>> >file) in an export brace:
>> >
>> >export "C" {
>> >	int myFunc(int, int)
>> >	...
>> >}
>> >
>> >I'm surprised that SHLIB generates name mangled code.  I
>> >thought one of the
>> >advantages of using it was that it produced a clean interface, 
>> >especially
>> >since you're using a .c file not a .cpp file.  I know that gcc uses
>> >different compilers based on the extension of the file.  I 
>> >wonder if it's
>> >case sensitive.  That is, if you changed the extension to .c 
>> >rather than .C
>> >would g++ use the c compiler rather than a cpp compiler.
>> >
>> >Good luck,
>> >Whit
>> ______________________________________________
>> R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list 
>> https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo> /r-help

More information about the R-help mailing list