[R] Basic Dummy Variable Creation

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Sep 5 20:49:31 CEST 2003

	  One must estimate 2 coefficients for a 3-level factor.  I therefore
prefer to look for a plausible order between the 3 levels so I can code
them as -1, 0, +1 and then estimate linear and quadratic coefficients.
Then for interactions, I look first for interactions between the linear
effect of this factor and others, especially if the data do not support
reasonable estimation of both interaction terms.  This sounds to me to
be pretty close to what your client was requesting.

hope this helps.
spencer graves