[R] R-1.8.0 memory.limit()

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Oct 7 21:54:24 CEST 2003

Thanks Uwe,

What is the theoretical limit for 32 bit Windows anyway?

BTW, --max-mem-size=2000M works (although maybe not all usable?)

> memory.limit()
[1] 2097152000

In R-1.7.1, --max-mem-size=2G *did* work (I get the same results as
above).

Jim

James W. MacDonald
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core
University of Michigan Cancer Center
1500 E. Medical Center Drive
7410 CCGC
Ann Arbor MI 48109
734-647-5623

James MacDonald wrote:

> Using R-1.8.0 (d/l and compiled on 2003-10-01) on WinXP, I seem to
be
> unable to determine the maximum memory allocated to R. The help
still
> says to use memory.limit(size=NA), but this returns the value NA.
>
> In addition, I have set --max-mem-size=2G but I run out of memory
> somewhere around 500Mb (which is why I am trying to find out how
much
> memory is allocated). I don't have any other programs open, so I
should
> certainly be able to address more memory than that.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes. 2GB is a bit more than the possible theoretical maximal value for
single process on 32-bit Windows. Instead, try starting with, e.g.,
"--max-mem-size=1700M" and you'll get

 > memory.limit()
[1] 1782579200

Uwe Ligges