[R] Question about Error due to memory allocation issue

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 21 08:37:10 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Jeannette Wicks-Lim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to using R and I'm having problems in trying to do some quantile
> regressions with the package quantreg. When I try to use rq [specifically, I
> type in: rq(lnwagehr~lnmin1 +  lncpi +  ue03 + ue35 + ue57 + ue79, tau=.05,
> data=mydata, weights=pworwgt, method="fn", na.omit) ] , the computer churns for
> about 15 minutes and then spits out the following error message:
>
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 109035 Kb

This means that it tried to allocate 109035k on top of what was already
allocated, and couldn't.

You probably can't fit this model in the memory.  Fortunately you probably
don't want to.

You can almost certainly either aggregate to a smaller number of
observations or analyse subgroups of the data and get a more useful result
as well as one that R can compute.

	-thomas