[R]

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Mar 19 18:41:33 CET 2003

"Michael D. Ward" <mdw at u.washington.edu> writes:

> Has anyone allocated more than one Gig of memory for R under
> Windows? When I try the diagnostic tells me I am decreasing memory
> and the memory size value is a very large negative number.
>
> I suspect the problem may be a signed integer that overflows. Is 1 G a hard
> limit for memory allocation in R under Windows?

Mike, you shouldn't need to allocate -- as of a few years back, R
allocs as needed.  You can set max size, but not sure why you would
sensibly want to do that, unless you are protecting other
executables.

Also see R for Windows FAQ 2.6.

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------------- http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ --------------------
FHCRC:Tu: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
(CHANGE: monday/wednesday/friday locations are completely unpredictable.)