[R] tcltk and Windo$e

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Sat Apr 19 12:31:59 CEST 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:32:40 -0700 (MST), you wrote:

>I am running R1.6.2 under windo$e98. I have followed the instructions in the
>Win port faq concerning tck, but when I try 'library(tcltk)', I get
>
>Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>        unable to load shared library
>"C:/PROGRA~1/R/RW1062/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.dll":
>  LoadLibrary failure:  One of the library files needed to run this
>application cannot be found.
>Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed

Assuming that tcltk.dll really is there, this probably means that it
can't find one of the dlls that it uses.  I'd guess one of the
environment variables isn't set properly, and I think it's the PATH
that's used to find the DLL.  Use Sys.getenv("PATH") and
Sys.getenv("TCL_LIBRARY") inside R to make sure they look right.

Even better: I recommend upgrading to 1.7.0:  in the new release the
TCL/TK files are automatically installed properly.

Duncan Murdoch