[R] troubles with displaying legend on the plot

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Apr 16 13:46:57 CEST 2003

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 12:26:11PM +0400, Wladimir Eremeev wrote:
> Is is possible to place the legend outside a plot in any other way
> except using lattice package?

Sort of -- I once did that using layout(). In essence you arrange two (or
more) plots on a page. One of those plots remains 'empty' and only contains
a legend, which gives the desired of having a plot with a separate legend.

> BTW, maybe it would be useful to place this question in FAQ?
> I've searched the mail archive. The question about placing the legend
> outside a plot already have arose...

This was discussed before. Simply trying one google query as in
     http://www.google.com/search?q=legend+outside+r-help
or
     http://www.google.com/search?q=legend+outside+site:r-project.org
shows several results, including one with the simpler answer
     par(xpd=T)

Hope this helps, Dirk

--
Wishful thinking can dominate much of the work of a profession for a decade,
but not indefinitely.   -- Robert Shiller, on Efficient Markets models, 2002