[R] Summary: html Search Engine not working

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at medanalytics.com
Fri Nov 22 18:39:04 CET 2002

jarret at duke.edu wrote:
> Hi All,
> Yesterday I sent a message about the html Search Engine not working
> properly.  I repeat that message below.  I received some suggestions
> that I should have Java running.  I take that to mean that I have
> "enabled" Java in the preferences list inside Mozilla.  Yes, it's
> "running", or so it appears.  I also opened (not from within R) the
> html help files using Internet Explorer 5.2 (Mac OS X) and
> experienced the same problem with the search engine html page in R
> not working, and, yes, Java is indicated as enabled.  So, initial
> evidence seems to indicate that the solution is not so simple as to
> have Java running.  Still, I am not so savvy about these things that
> the solution could not be this simple.  So, other suggestions are
> appreciated.  Thanks!           
> jarrett
> PS  In my previous message I (actually mozilla -version) indicated
> that I was running mozilla 5.0.  Apparently this is a futuristic
> version and I may be running something like mozilla 1.0.  Suffice it
> to say, there seems to be some conflicting information on reporting
> the version number of mozilla.  Anyway, I don't think this is
> relevant in this case.     
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Jarrett Barber wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Just installed R on my powerbook G4 (Darwin; see more info below)
>> have trouble with the the Search Engine and Keywords html page
>> help.start() (with Mozilla 5.0).  I've browsed the archives and
>> seen some references to similar problems, but can't figure out how
>> fix it so that the search function works.  When attempting to
>> for help using a keyword, nothing appears to happen; I'm still left
>> looking at the Search Engine page.  The keywords by topic links
>> work either.  Suggestions appreciated.
>> jarrett
>> R 1.6.1 (2002-11-01)
>> Darwin Kernel Version 6.2: Tue Nov  5 22:00:03 PST 2002;
>> root:xnu/xnu-344.12.2.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Darwin Power Macintosh; en-US; rv:1.0.0)
>> Gecko/20020915 <developer build>

There was just an exchange on this earlier this week under Linux (RH

My experience is that both Java AND JavaScript need to be enabled in
Mozilla for the search to function properly.  Be sure that JavaScript
for Navigator is also enabled in your browser. This is enabled under:

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts & Plugins

In addition, Professor Ripley indicated that in his experience there
appear to be Mozilla version specific issues with the search feature
functioning properly. That post is at
http://www.r-project.org/nocvs/mail/r-help/2002/9492.html.  Presuming
that the underlying Java runtime versions remain the same, this might
be suggestive of version specific Java/JavaScript bug issues in

I would verify which version of Mozilla you are running and if need
be, upgrade.

Hope this helps provide some direction.

Marc Schwartz

r-help mailing list -- Read http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~hornik/R/R-FAQ.html
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch

More information about the R-help mailing list