[R] Where is the best place to get ALL the changes between versions?

Agustin Lobo alobo at ija.csic.es
Fri Jan 11 12:22:20 CET 2002

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Michael Grant wrote:

> EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:"Its called the NEWS." would have
> sufficed.
>
> FULL TEXT:
>
> "... So it's all there if you care to look."
>
> Ouch!  Yes, I do care to look and I do not take
> lightly, as implied by that retort the time the team
> members give to make R what it is. This is especially
> the case with the help. I regret if the perception is
> otherwise.
>
> Before submitting that question, I looked at four
.../...

> However, you might be able to eliminate a
> lot of these questions by considering, just a little,
> the consequences of changes in preparation to writing
> documentation. Is time to get a volunteer technical
> editor?
.../..
> Respectfully

I think that we can all understand both points of view here.
In my opinion, R documentation is sometimes insufficient and
sometimes confusing or difficult to locate, and this is the
real source of some irritated comments to some questions (but note that
even if some questions get an irritated comment, they all
get a practical answer...). Anyway, we have
what we have thanks to R developpers.

Therefore, we should probably assume that creating and
improving documentation
is a task to which we must collaborate. Obviously, R developpers
are required, but are not sufficient. It's not only
a question of time, it's also a question of point of view: many
issues are obvious for the developper but not for the
user. Should an R documentation project be started? An R technical
editor receiving input and material from both the developping team and a
cohort of dedicated users seems to be the a good solution.

Agus

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch