[R] R as a daemon?

kmself@ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 31 04:08:39 CET 2000

I have a GNU/Linux / Unix application in which I'd like to have an R
process running in a persistant state, while receiving instructions (and
data) from another process, and returning results to this process.

My initial thoughts are to set something up with named pipes or such,
but I believe that the R process will terminate when it reads EOF (^D)
from the input pipe.  The client process is meant to be a Python script.

Has anyone experimented with this or developed a similar solution?

TIA.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/