R-beta: Some General Questions

MIKE FLEMING mike_fleming_at_nass-fx at nass.usda.gov
Fri Oct 3 23:19:38 CEST 1997

     I would like to introduce R to the statistical community at large in
     the Washington, D.C. area. I will be giving a presentation, a part of
     which will be devoted to a discussion of R, before the Washington
     Statistical Society (WSS) on 15 October. Anyone residing in the D.C.
     area is welcomed to come. Also, if a developer should have plans of
     being Washington and would like to give a presentation before the WSS
     on R or some aspect of statistical computing in general, please notify
     me:

     Mike Fleming
     Co-Chairman, Statistical Computing Section
     Washington Statistical Society
     mfleming at nass.usda.gov
     703-235-5213 ext. 170

     The answers to my questions will help me in preparing for my talk:

     1. I saw a reference to the Fullerton Library in one of the r-help
        messages recently. What and where is it?

     2. Has there been developed a function like sas.get for R or can
        the one found at statlib in the directory for S be used?

     3. Shell commands like !pwd do not work on my installation of R like
        they do for me in Splus. Does R support the use of shell commands?

     4. Is there a matrix library for R like the one used for Splus? Is
        such a library needed by R?

     5. Is there any work being done on GUI front ends like the dialog
        functions found in Splus?

     6. I learned that MathSoft intends to make its S code inaccessible for
        use in R. Is that true, how can that be achieved, and what are the
        implications of it in the development and use of R?

     7. How many developers are there that regularly contribute to the
        development of R?

     8. What is R's development platform?

     The compilation of R on my Linux box was easy. It was troublesome, at
     first, to compile it on a Solaris2.5 platform. Once I defined the
     environmental variable: OPENWINHOME=/usr/openwin, the compilation
     proceeded without a problem. I wish compilations of other software
     were so nice.

     9. What is the procedure for the submission of software for R?
        Are unsolicited submissions or developed utilities not found on
        the "TO DO" list welcomed?

     Thank you,

     Mike Fleming
     mfleming at nass.usda.gov