[BioC] edgeR and DESeq2: model design and estimation of dispersion

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Jun 16 05:30:59 CEST 2014

Dear Iddo,

No, it is not valid to use a different design matrix for the dispersion
estimation.

edgeR will handle your model with 400 samples, but it will admitedly be
slow. If this is too slow, then switch to voom() in the limma package,
which will be very fast, or to glmQLFTest() in the edgeR package, which
will still be relatively slow but faster than the glm routines in edgeR
(or DESeq2).

Best wishes
Gordon