[BioC] edgeR: mixing technical replicates from Illumina HiSeq and MiSeq

Ryan rct at thompsonclan.org
Fri Aug 29 10:42:50 CEST 2014

Hi Nick,

Thanks to the underlying theory behind dispersion estimation, you can
easily test whether your "technical replicates" really do represent
technical replicates. Specifically, read counts in technical replicates
should follow a Poisson distribution, which is a special case of the
negative binomial with zero dispersion. So, simply fit a model using
edgeR or DESeq2 with a separate coefficient for each group of technical
replicates. Thus all the experimental variation will be absorbed into
the model coefficients and the only thing left will be the technical
variability of of the replicates. For true technical replicates, the
dispersion should be zero for all genes. So if you estimate dispersions
using this model, and plotBCV/plotDispEsts shows the dispersion very
near to zero, then you can be confident that you really have technical
replicates. If the dispersion is nonzero, then there is some additional
source of unaccounted-for variation.

I have used this method on a pilot dataset with several technical
replicates for each condition. edgeR said the dispersion was something
like 10^-3 or less for all genes except for the very low-expressed genes.

-Ryan