[BioC] Can DESeq do this?

Michael Love michaelisaiahlove at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 20:03:30 CEST 2014

hi Ben,

One problem with this comparison is that, without replicates from at
least one site, the statistical methods have no way of assessing the
biological and technical variability of the experiment. Just like with
a t-test, the question, is 2 < 6 depends on how much variability we
expect from sampling again and again. For more information, read the
paragraph "Experiments without replicates..." in ?DESeq.

were the samples from the different sites prepared and sequenced at
the same facility?

as far as technical aspects of using DESeq/edgeR for metagenomics,
Joey McMurdie has comprehensive instructions here:
http://joey711.github.io/phyloseq/

Mike