[BioC] flip strand of GappedAlignmentPairs Object

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fhcrc.org
Wed Feb 27 16:06:17 CET 2013

Hi Stephanie,

A GappedAlignmentPairs object is made up of a 'left' and a 'right'
GappedAlignments.

 >  ex1_file <- system.file("extdata", "ex1.bam", package="Rsamtools")
 >      galp <- readGappedAlignmentPairs(ex1_file, use.names=TRUE)

You can extract the left/right parts with an accessor then look at
strand, cigars, gaps etc.

 > left <- left(galp)
 > class(left)
[1] "GappedAlignments"
attr(,"package")
[1] "GenomicRanges"

 > strand(left)
factor-Rle of length 1572 with 665 runs
   Lengths:  3 25  1  1  1  3  1  1  3  2  2 ...  1  6  1  2  3  2 1  5
1 51
   Values :  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  - ...  +  -  +  -  +  - +  -
+  -
Levels(3): + - *

 > head(cigar(left))
[1] "35M" "36M" "35M" "36M" "35M" "35M"

 > head(ngap(left))
[1] 0 0 0 0 0 0

It's on these left/right pairs that you can reset the strand.

 > strand(left)[1:3]
factor-Rle of length 3 with 1 run
   Lengths: 3
   Values : +
Levels(3): + - *
 > strand(left)[1:3] <- "-"
 > strand(left)[1:3]
factor-Rle of length 3 with 1 run
   Lengths: 3
   Values : -
Levels(3): + - *

Please be sure to read the details on the man page regarding how the
strands were assigned.

?GappedAlignmentPairs

Valerie