[BioC] Influence of expression correlation on false positive ratio

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Fri Jul 13 16:23:46 CEST 2012

Dear Kevin

I agree with your points. Two comments:

- You very appropriately point out below and in your paper that point
estimates of the FDR can be all over the place, and in particular so
when there is a lot of correlation. I have often seen that, too, and it
should probably be much more emphasized to statistics-naive users. But
isn't avoiding that exactly the point of methods like that of
Benjamini-Hochberg or Benjamini-Yekutieli that control FDR under various
types of dependence [1]?

- It is not quite as bad with multivariate methods, if you include (as I
do) clustering, heatmaps and classification. In microarray analysis,
these even predate the gene-by-gene testing. In particular heatmaps can
be surprisingly useful for detecting the major correlation structures.
Things get a bit more ambiguous and less automatable than with
gene-by-gene testing, but I don't think that's a reason not to do it.

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang

[1] The control of the false discovery rate in multiple testing under
dependency, Yoav Benjamini and Daniel Yekutieli, Ann. Statist. Volume
29, Number 4 (2001), 1165-1188.

Kevin R. Coombes scripsit 07/11/2012 06:22 PM: