[BioC] intragenic sequence extraction

Tue Nov 29 14:27:41 CET 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Yating Cheng <yating.cheng at charite.de> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Does anyone know that how to extract intragenic sequences from the genome.
>
> Like in the genescan, it is mentioned that the predictions are based on
> transcriptional, translational and donor/acceptor splicing signals as well
> as the length and compositional distributions of exons, introns and
> intergenic regions.
>
> But I am not sure which function I should use.

Use the GenomicFeatures package to build a gene annotation database
for your organism. By getting a bit more intimate with that package
(good place to start is by reading its vignette, along with that for
GenomicRanges) you will figure out how to identify where the
intergenic regions lie on your genome.

Once you have the intergenic regions of your genome stored in a
GRanges object, its easy to use those ranges to get the sequence from
your genome using the appropriate BSgenome.* package for your
organism. The Biostrings::getSeq function could do that for you, among
other things.

HTH,
-steve