[BioC] question about data analysis of Genechip miRNA

Hooiveld, Guido Guido.Hooiveld at wur.nl
Thu Jan 13 21:52:37 CET 2011

Hi James,

I analyzed my Affymetrix miRNA arrays using a custom, remapped CDF, with the packages 'affy' and 'limma', just like the regular Affymetrix mRNA arrays. Note that this workflow will also do using the default Affy CDF (which is available on BioC). Alternatively, you may want to use the package 'xps'.
I used quantile normalization because my samples were all from the same tissue that underwent a relatively mild intervention, so I expected most of the miRNAs to remain constantly expressed (in contrast to e.g. comparing different tissues or tumors).

You may want to check these threads for a bit more info on this and related strategies (links point to the starting post of a topic; be sure to click through the complete threads):

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor/31837

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor/29921

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor/32287

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor/24682