[BioC] heatmap.2 how to remove row separator

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:12:18 CET 2011

Hi Ben,

On 2/23/2011 8:20 AM, Benoît Ballester wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to plot a heatmap with heatmap.2, and would like not to plot
> any block separation for all rows, which is "white" by default.

The default is to not draw separators. There will be some very thin
white lines between the rows and columns, but this is due to how image()
works (and in the end, heatmap.2 relies on image() to create the
heatmap). For instance, try

library(gplots)
pdf("tmp.pdf", width=5, height=50)
image(1:10, 1:1000, matrix(rnorm(10000), nrow=10), col=redgreen(25))
dev.off()

Then zoom in on the resulting pdf. There will be some small white lines,
but IMO they are very unobtrusive.

Your other choice is to use levelplot() from lattice, but you will still
get white lines:

library(lattice)
pdf("tmp2.pdf", width=5, height=50)
levelplot(matrix(rnorm(10000), nrow=10), col=redgreen(100), colorkey=FALSE)
dev.off()

Best,

Jim

> When I plot my heatmap as PDF (~9000 rows) I get all those fin white
> lines which dilutes the colors in my heatmap. A bit blurry in a way.
>
> I have played with those parameters, but with no luck so far.
>
> # block sepration
> colsep,
> rowsep,
> sepcolor="white",
> sepwidth=c(0.05,0.05),
>
> If any of you have an idea, or know how to deal with this, I'll be more
> than happy to hear about it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben
>
> ( R-2.12.0 )