[BioC] Single nucleotide based RNAseq normalization with edgeR?

Jens Georg jens.georg at biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Feb 4 11:28:15 CET 2011

Dear edgeR users and developers,

we used Solexa sequencing in order to detect RNase E processing sites.
Therefor we splitted a RNA sample and treated one half with RNase E
prior to cDNA synthesis and sequencing. The libraries differ in size
(1.918.953 and 1.208.586 reads respectively) which clearly necessitates
a normalization step. Furthermore we expect site specific differences
rather than differences in the accumulation of the full length RNAs.

So I want to ask, if it is appropiate to do a single nucleotide based
normalization with edgeR and do you think a reliable basic normalization
is possible without replicates?

Thank you for your comments.

Best regards

Jens