[BioC] anybody parsing BioPAX 2?

Ossi Koivistoinen ossi.koivistoinen at iki.fi
Thu May 20 17:23:55 CEST 2010

Hi Paul,

I'm preparing master's thesis related to this subject and my instructor,
Leo Lahti, pointed me to this discussion. In my study I'm trying to
analyze BioPAX 2 data (from Reactome) to build network of all proteins
that are linked to pathways and also to identify interactions between
proteins based on interactions between pathways and other classes in
Biopax data.

I used Rredland to parse the Biopax owl file on Mac OS X 10.4 and I've had
no problems with Rredland. Berkeley DB and other dependencies have been
available through fink project.

When starting the work I had no experience with R but some experience with
other programming languages. I found the data.frame returned by rredland
mostly incomprehensible and didn't know much about R packages and the R
community so I proceeded in writing S4 object model of BioPAX level 2 and
converted the rdf data to graph of objects of my personal BioPAX level 2
implementation. In hindsight, creating this own graph representation seems
extra work and I think it might have been better to build maybe igraph or
graphNEL model of the rdf data directly.

Anyway, we have here BioPAX level 2 S4 object model under work and means
for constructing it from owl file. I have used this object model to select
only some edges of the BioPAX data to construct simpler graphs relevant in
my study. If you are interested in the project you can also continue
discussion by email with me (ossi.koivistoinen at iki.fi) or with Leo
(leo.lahti at iki.fi). In particular, we would like to know if there are
others who could potentially join and contribute to the project but all
comments and feedback are welcome.

Best Regards,
Ossi