[BioC] R: visualization of Loess smoothing curve

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue May 4 15:00:37 CEST 2010

Hi Erika,

Please don't take things off-list. The list archives are intended to be
a searchable repository of answered questions, and if things go
off-list, that function is invalidated.

Erika Melissari wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> I am talking about plotMA() function that resides in the LIMMA package.

This function doesn't have an internal method to add loess lines.
However, it isn't difficult to do so.

If you specifically want a loess line, you can do

plotMA(MAobj)
lines(predict(loess(MAobj$M~MAobj$A)))

you might need to play with the span and degree arguments to get a
smoother line. Although the loess() function is recommended over the
lowess() function, I actually prefer the results from lowess().

lines(lowess(MAobj$M~MAobj$A))

Best,

Jim

> Thank you