[BioC] Version package in release

Sean Davis seandavi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 22:10:16 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Pierre-Yves <pingou at pingoured.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 14:01 -0700, Martin Morgan wrote:
>> On 03/22/2010 01:53 PM, Pierre-Yves wrote:
>> > Dear list,
>> >
>> > At the moment to know the latest version of a package in the release
>> > branch I am parsing the html of the page
>> > (http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/<Name>.html). I was
>> > wondering if there would be a easier way available to access this
>> > information.
>> >
>> > Would anyone has an idea about this ?
>>
>> Hi Pierre --
>>
>> source('http://bioconductor.org/biocLite')
>> ap = available.packages(contrib.url(biocinstallRepos()))
>> ap['Biobase',]
>>
>> or if the package is installed
>>
>> packageDescription('Biobase')$Version
>>
>> See also ?new.packages
> Nice indeed but I was more thinking of a solution outside of R itself
> (maybe something in the infrastructure of bioconductor).
>
> Any clue ?

Hi, Pierre.  You can write a script using R and then call that from
somewhere else.  Also, if you need a "text file", you can run the
little R script that Martin just gave as a cron job to generate the
"text file" that you can read using another tool.

What are you trying to accomplish in the end?

Sean