[BioC] iFlow error in opening FCS and LMD files

Josef Spidlen jspidlen at bccrc.ca
Mon Aug 9 19:54:42 CEST 2010

Hi Anna,
have you tried simply reading the file in R with flowCore?

library(flowCore)
x <- read.FCS('path to your LMS file')

Do you get an error message or can you read it? As far as I know, an LMD
file is just a list mode FCS file; we have some of these generated from
Coulter's Cytomics FC500. These files sometimes cause problems in
different software since they are unusual in terms of commonly
containing more than 1 data set within the file. This is legal in FCS
but I have also seen some missing offset information in these files in
the FCS header segment, which is not FCS compliant (however, the
appropriate information can sometimes still be derived from info in the
text segment). TreeStar guys put a lot of effort into reading basically
all the files out there so if a file is successfully read in FlowJo does
not really tell you whether the file is OK or not.

If you want, you can send me one of the files offline and I can have a
closer look at it.

Cheers,
Josef

--