[BioC] comparing two or more limma::topTables - in search of a graphical tool

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Nov 18 15:42:27 CET 2009

Hi Massimo,

Massimo Pinto wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> in an experiment which I have analyzed using a factorial design, I
> have reached a point where I have produced a number of fits to my data
> with several contrasts and I am interested in making some comparisons
> between the two or more lists of differentially expressed genes. One
> tool, as I understand, is to make a VennDiagram based on
> limma::decideTests(). However, this has the limitation that the IDs of
> the differentially expressed genes are lost in the diagrams (but I can
> still manually look in the list produced by decideTests), and if one
> gene is upregulated in one contrast but down-regulated in another
> contrast, this gene won't appear in the intersection of the two
> circles of the Venn Diagram. This information, however, may be
> interesting and noteworthy.

This last statement is incorrect. The default behavior of vennCounts()
is to include both up and down regulated genes in the intersection. This
includes genes up-regulated in one contrast and down-regulated in the other.

> What graphical tools do exist to assist an investigator in this part
> of data analysis?

I don't know what other graphical tools would be useful. Certainly
listing a bunch of gene IDs in a Venn diagram would not be particularly
useful.

If you want annotated tables of the genes in each cell of the Venn
diagram, the vennSelect() function in affycoretools may be of use (if
you are using Affy chips). If you are using a different platform, the
vennSelectBM() function may be useful.

Best,

Jim

> Thank you in advance,
> Massimo
>
> Massimo Pinto
> Post Doctoral Research Fellow
> Enrico Fermi Centre and Italian Public Health Research Institute (ISS), Rome
> http://claimid.com/massimopinto

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician
Douglas Lab