[BioC] hclust to newick format?

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Nov 4 10:39:55 CET 2009

Hello

I am asking the bioC list as it is more likely to contain biologists tha R-help!

Has anyone written any code to convert an hclust object to newick format?

For those of you who don't know, newick is a simple tree representation format used extensively in phylogenetic analysis:

(B:6.0,(A:5.0,C:3.0,E:4.0):5.0,D:11.0);

I am looking to see if certain statistical properties can be used in hclust which will mirror a phylogenetic tree based on DNA sequence, and for that I want to use some of the phylogenetic tree drawing tools on my hclust data, all of which accept newick as standard

Thanks in advance

Mick