[BioC] error with pileup function in ShortRead

Simon Anders anders at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Mar 14 15:38:16 CET 2009

Dear Davide

Davide Cittaro wrote:
> p<-pileup(position(foo), 185, chromLen[chrom], svector, width(foo))
>
> where foo is my AlignData class (filtered on chrom). It happens that I
> have a read on the + strand near the end of the chromosome (156 bp afar)
> that is greater than the specified fragment size (185). pileup complains
> that the chromosome length is too small... I can try to run with a
> shorter fragment size, but is there a way to tell pileup that the
> rightmost read can be smaller than the specified average size?

Instead of the scalar '185', you can pass a vector that gives an
explicit fragment length estimate for each read, e.g.:

p <- pileup(
   position(foo),
   ifelse( position(foo) < chromLen[chrom] - 185,
      185, chromLen[chrom] - position(foo) - 1 ),
   chromLen[chrom], svector, width(foo) )

I don't want to claim that this is a very elegant solution.

Best regards
  Simon

+---