[BioC] building a new annotation

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 12 22:32:56 CET 2009

Hi Chirag,

createSimpleBimap is really meant for the case where someone is using an
custom annotation package that they have generated using SQLForge (you
don't want to do that), and they have added a single table which
contains all the information that they wish to represent.  In this very
simple case, createSimpleBimap() will add a mapping to your package.
But otherwise you will probably want to have a look at (as an example)
the createAnnObjs.HUMANCHIP_DB.R in the AnnotationDbi package, and also
at the zzz.R inside the hgu95av2.db package for an example of how these
mappings can be set up.  If you look at these examples you will see some
L2RChains being used to define the set of mappings needed for a package.

Please keep the conversation "on list" so that others can benefit from
your questions.  And while we are on that topic, this conversation would
probably be a better fit on the bioc-devel mailing list than here.
Because you are really talking about defining a new set of interfaces
for interacting with a completely different SQLite database schema than
anything else we support.  And actually, you really might not need to
make a set of mappings at all.  You might instead just want to write
some simple functions to retrieve pertinent data from the database.  I
still don't know which of the data in this database you want to use or
what you want to do with it, so it's difficult for me to really advise
you on what is more appropriate at this time.

  Marc