[BioC] Question on LIMMA

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Jul 7 14:32:05 CEST 2009

Hi Francisco,

Francisco Javier Burguillo wrote:
> Dear colleages,
>
> I can not uderstand a result I have. I made t-permutations and LIMMA to
> find differentially expressed genes on the same dataset. Is it posible I
> can have
> a gene which is overexpressed using t-permutations (t value = + something)
> and underespressed using LIMMA (Statistic= - something) ?

That's highly unlikely - the numerator (which is responsible for the
sign of the statistic) is identical in both cases. The only differences
are slight changes in how the denominator is computed, and what
distribution the t-statistics are compared against.

It's more likely that you have e.g. experimental - control in one case
and control - experimental in the other. However, without seeing  your
code that's just a guess.

Best,

Jim

> Sorry but I can not fully understand the LIMMA algorithm yet.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Francisco

> Search the archives:

James W. MacDonald, M.S.