[BioC] Using htmlpage

john seers (IFR) john.seers at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Feb 13 23:04:47 CET 2009

Hi Jim

>OK, now I understand. You want to build a link using one ID, but
>supplying a different ID to the end user for them to click. This
>functionality still doesn't exist for htmlpage(), as there is no way to
>pass in two sets of IDs, one to build the query and one for the HTML.

Yup, I think you've got it. Close enough anyway.

>And the way htmlpage() is designed, I don't see a simple way to add such
>functionality without making it more of a kludge-fest than it already is.

Fair enough.

>I disagree with this statement. The htmlpage() function isn't designed
>to be completely flexible, nor IMO should it be.

Well, I won't argue with you over this. It is your software and your design.

How about htmlpagemoregeneric()?  :)

>If you want complete flexibility, then really what you should do is just
>use the xtable package directly. You can create a data.frame containing
>URIs in some of the columns, of whatever form you desire, and then use
>xtable() to build the table and then print it using print(thextable,
>type="html"), which is what is done in htmlpage() (see the last two
>lines of the function).

Yes, probably the advice I was looking for when I first raised the question. I did not know about xtable until I started looking at how htmlpage worked. In hindsight perhaps I was expecting htmlpage to do more and was trying to avoid reinventing the wheel. But I think I can see my way forward now. I am just waiting for some feedback on Mark 1 from my user and then I will knock it into shape if what I have done is useful.

Thanks.

Regards

John