[BioC] Limma contrasts question

Daniel Brewer daniel.brewer at icr.ac.uk
Wed Oct 22 11:27:25 CEST 2008

James W. MacDonald wrote:
> Daniel Brewer wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for that information.  Yes I did mean PC3M as a contol ... doh.
>>
>> Unfortunately I am still having problems.
>>> contrast.matrix <- makeContrasts("KvC" = Knockdown - (Scramble +
>> PC3M)/2, levels = design)
>> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object "PC3M" not found
>>
>> I believe this is because PC3M is not in the design matrix as I am using
>> it as the reference.  As a structure for this I have been using the
>> direct 2-color design example of the "Limma User guide" (Section 7.4).
>> There is a discrepancy between the straight comparisons that you have
>> given me and the example in the guide.
>>
>> Your suggestion:
>> contrast.matrix <- makeContrasts("KvsC" = Knockdown - PC3M, levels =
>> design)
>> Their suggestion:
>> contrast.matrix <- makeContrasts("KvsC" = Knockdown, levels = design)
>>
>> I think this will have something to do with PC3M being described as the
>> reference (the intercept in the linear model???) in their approach but
>> maybe you use a different reference.  Not sure.
>
> Oh yeah. Sorry - I didn't look closely at the design matrix. I don't do
> two color stuff so this doesn't come second nature to me.
>
> Anyway, I think your original contrasts matrix should be OK.
> Algebraically (2*Knockdown - Scramble)/2 should equal Knockdown -
> (Scramble + PC3M)/2. Sorry for the noise.
>

> Best,
>
> Jim
>

>> Many thanks for your time.  I really would like to get an understanding
>> of this.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dan

Hi Jim,

Could you go into the maths of the contrast formulas a bit?  I would
like to get a really solid understanding of what it is doing for future
analyses.

Many thanks

Dan

Daniel Brewer

Institute of Cancer Research
Molecular Carcinogenesis
MUCRC
15 Cotswold Road
Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 20 8722 4109
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8722 4141

Email: daniel.brewer at icr.ac.uk

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the a...{{dropped:2}}