[BioC] Rcurl 0.8-1 update for bioconductor 2.7

Thu May 29 23:21:53 CEST 2008

Hi,

> I'm seeking help here regarding updating the Rcurl for macOSX to a
> newer version so it'll accomodate to bioconductor 2.7. The current
> version of Rcurl 0.8-1 (in bioconductor 2.7 for macOSX) is built for
> bioconductor 2.6; Is there anyone who could help to put the
> bioconductor 2.7 compatible version of Rcurl into the database? So
> we could use packages depending on Rcurl? Any kind help is greatly
> appreciated!

When this was brought up earlier, I think the consensus was that since
this isn't a bioconductor hosted package, you'd better inquire over at
R-help.

That said, someone also suggested earlier to install it straight from
the source via this incantation:

 > install.packages("RCurl", repos = "http://www.omegahat.org/R")

I don't think that worked for me, and I ended up d/ling the source
package and installing it manually, by first d/ling it and
uncompressing it. You'll get an RCurl folder. At the command line, you
can then:

$ R CMD BUILD RCurl
$ R CMD CHECK RCurl_0.9-3.tar.gz
$ R CMD INSTALL RCurl_0.9-3.tar.gz

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but I seem to have a fully
functioning RCurl again since the biomaRt package relies on that, and
that works now.

Btw - you can get RCurl here: http://www.omegahat.org/RCurl/

HTH,
-steve