[BioC] of limma and superfluous arrays

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Jan 31 00:21:34 CET 2008

Dear Yannick,

 From a statistical point of view, you should include in your limma
analysis any arrays you have which will share the same genewise
variances as the arrays involved in your contrasts.

How do you know which arrays share the same genewise variances? In
practice, this means you should include arrays with very comparable
RNA samples (same tissue, similar treatment), same probe set,
collected and hybridised at the same time, i.e., arrays which really
are part of the same greater experiment. Arrays more different than
that should not be included.

Best wishes
Gordon