[BioC] processCGH in snapCGH package

jhs1jjm at leeds.ac.uk jhs1jjm at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 16:18:30 CEST 2007

Quoting Sean Davis <sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov> on Thu 27 Sep 2007 00:13:04 BST:

> jhs1jjm at leeds.ac.uk wrote:
> > Quoting jhs1jjm at leeds.ac.uk on Wed 26 Sep 2007 22:54:01 BST:
> >

> >> Quoting Sean Davis <sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov> on Wed 26 Sep 2007 17:30:18 BST:

> processCGH(MA1,method.of.averaging=mean,ID="MA1$genes$ProbeName")

> >> anyone

> >> methods

> >> its

> >> Hi Sean,
> >>
> >> I'm struggling to import the LogRatio column from the Agilent text files.
> I'm
> >> using read.delim2 but this is bringing my machine to a standstill and
> after
> >> 45
> >> mins hadn't finished. Is the following the same:

> >> Having just looked at the text file it doesn't appear to be. I've looked
> >> through
> >> the data import R guide but haven't found anything yet.
> >>

> You will probably need to read the read.maimages help pretty carefully.
> You will need to specify other columns to read in if you want to read in
> the LogRatio column.  Alternatively, change the red and green foreground
> columns to be rProcessedSignal and gProcessedSignal and then do not do
> background correction, as LogRatio is calculated from these.  You will
> also potentially benefit from looking at the Agilent Feature Extraction
> Reference Manual, which explains the columns in the Agilent files.
>
> http://www.chem.agilent.com/scripts/LiteraturePDF.asp?iWHID=50416
>
> > Additionally Sean I tried:
> >

> >> LogRatio <-log2(RG1$R)-log2(RG1$G)
> >>

> > This gives me different results to the text file?
> >

> The LogRatio column is calculated from rProcessedSignal and
> gProcessedSignal in the Agilent file.  These columns are not loaded by
> limma by default.
>
> Hope that helps some.
>
> Sean

Hi Sean,

I did the following:

#read in the intensity data
> RG1 <-read.maimages(targets$File_names,source="agilent",
columns=list(R="rProcessedSignal",G="gProcessedSignal"))

It sounded like there was an alternative in your email but having looked at the
reference manual's column explanation I couldn't see one.

#insert info on ch pos of clone into the $genes matrix
> RG2 <- readPositionalInfo(RG1,source="agilent")
Warning message:
NAs introduced by coercion

#normalize
> MA1 <- normalizeWithinArrays (RG2,method="none")

This gives the log2 ratio whereas the agilent text is log10, is this important?
Following this i'm getting the same error with processCGH as follows:

> MA2 <- processCGH(MA1,ID="ProbeName")
Error in order(na.last, decreasing, ...) :
        argument 2 is not a vector

Some of the probes do not have location information, could this be the problem?

Thanks again
John