[BioC] VSN, RMA, dCHIP, etc....

Stefan Thomsen stt26 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 16 14:35:33 CEST 2007

Dear all,

currently evaluating the performance of different normalization strategies
to an Affymetrix data set, I have some semi-technical, semi-philosophical
questions.

Given (i) the jungle of possible normalization strategies implemented in R
and other platforms, (ii) the fact that most authors describe which
normalization strategy they used but not why they chose this and no other,
(iii) the sparse literature on how to find the strategy most suitable for a
given design/experiment/data set, I would be very grateful for any comments
on the following questions:

1) Are there written or silently accepted guidelines to evaluate, choose,
and justify the choice of normalization strategies?

2) What could be sensible "readouts" for the performance of a given
normalization strategy ? (Personally, I am looking at the performance on
spike-in-control and a handful of known gene profiles. I am very intersted
in complementary approaches)

3) Is there some literature on this issue that may have escaped my notice?

Any comments on this issue would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
Dr. Stefan Thomsen