[BioC] limmaGUI and Agilent output files!

Keith Satterley keith at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Oct 2 06:10:44 CEST 2007

Dear Rafael,

you are mixing up limma and limmaGUI. limmaGUI is the graphical user interface
to limma. From the list of commands and version number you supply, you are using
limma with its command line interface.

I maintain limmaGUI, not limma. However I see from the read.maimages code, if an
annotation option value is not given it assumes the following headings for
annotations:

agilent = c("Row", "Col", "Start", "Sequence", "SwissProt", "GenBank",
"Primate", "GenPept", "ProbeUID", "ControlType", "ProbeName", "GeneName",
"SystematicName", "Description")

The default column names for agilent data columns are set with:

agilent = list(G="gMeanSignal", Gb="gBGMedianSignal", R="rMeanSignal",
Rb="rBGMedianSignal").

I don't see the need to change Col to Column. (I'm not sure, but it may still
pick up data from "Column", as "Col" is an unambiguous abbreviation for the
agilent standard column names).

Also the block information is set with the code:

if(source2=="agilent") {
   if(!is.null(RG$genes$Row) && !is.null(RG$genes$Col)) {
     nr <- length(unique(RG$genes$Row))
     nc <- length(unique(RG$genes$Col))
     if(nspots==nr*nc) RG$printer <- list(ngrid.r=1, ngrid.c=1, nspot.r=nr,
nspot.c=nc)
  }
}

so your printer layout should be set when data is read in.

What command gives you the memory allocation error. Please supply output from
sessionInfo() and we may be able to help with the memory allocation problem.

cheers,

Keith

Keith Satterley
Bioinformatics Division
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
Parkville, Melbourne,
Victoria, Australia